Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Space :: essays research papers

The Presidential Commission on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident, chaired by former Secretary of State William P. Rogers, investigated the circumstances surrounding the explosion of the Space Shuttle Challenger shortly after liftoff on January 28, 1986. The Commission was established in February, 1986, pursuant to Executive Order 12546, and it issued its final report in June, 1986. William Rogers was at the time a practicing attorney and senior partner in the law firm Rogers & Wells. In 1973, Rogers was awarded the Medal of Freedom. All other members of the Commission have excellent qualifications such as previous spacecraft commander, engineers, director of Space Systems and Command, Control, Communication, astronauts, and physicists. January 28th, 1986, was the coldest day that NASA had ever attempted to launch a manned spacecraft; at 36 degrees Fahrenheit, it was 15 degrees colder than any previous launch temperature. Although lift-off time for the Challenger flight 51-L had been delayed twice that morning, all operations and systems seemed to be under control. An â€Å"ice† team had been sent to the launch pad at 1:30 a.m. and again at 8:45 a.m., and although there was some build-up, ice was cleared as a concern. Other weather conditions were cleared by NASA staff at Cape Canaveral through the use of weather balloons and also at the emergency landing site in Dakar, Senegal, Africa. The seven member crew arrived at the launch pad in the astronauts’ van shortly after 8:00 and were all strapped into their seats by 8:36 a.m. â€Å"Three, two, one†¦Ã¢â‚¬  [stated mission control]. â€Å"Roger. Go with the throttle up,† shuttle commander Dick Scobee radioed. 73 seconds later, millions of p eople across the nation watched the awful explosion spread across their television screens and realized that something had gone wrong before they heard the voice of mission control: â€Å"Obviously†¦a major malfunction.† Rather than delivering the State of the Union address that evening as scheduled, President Ronald Reagan made a brief speech. â€Å"We’ll continue our quest in space,† he promised traumatized Americans. â€Å"There will be more shuttle flights and more shuttle crews and, yes, more volunteers, more civilians, more teachers in space.† There would be no shuttle flights for nearly three years. There would be no teacher in space, and for those left on the ground, for the families of seven deceased astronauts, there would be years of bitterness, grief and anger, and pain before their lives could finally heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.